Friday, January 7, 2011

Top 10... US

In lieu of my very recent trip back to Wisconsin for the holidays, I decided to make a top 10 list about the best things in the United States. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to get back to Cairo. I can't wait to see my friends, get back to school, and start living a more "adventurous" lifestyle. But I realized that I had been taking some things for granted during my 24 years living in the United States. And you know what? I think a lot of people do. So sometimes it's nice to look around, breathe in the clean air (oops, that was going to be one of them), and appreciate what you have. I will also make a top 10 list about the best things in Egypt when I return.

So here it is...

The Top 10 Best Things About the United States (generally speaking)
10. Wal-Mart. Love it. Hate it. I don't care. You can go to one place and virtually get everything you need. I took many exciting trips to Wal-Mart during my time home.
9. No wild animals on the street. And when I say wild, I mean cats and dogs. Because it's depressing. I want to pet them and love them and give them a home, but... eeew. They probably have rabies and they're so sick looking. It's sad.
8. Men don't stare at you for showing hair or elbows. Even I've become a little more conservative in dress! i couldn't believe how much cleavage was bouncing around on New Years! Come on ladies!
7. Seasons. Again, depending on where you are. But it's not hot, then kind of cooler, then hot. Again, I'm speaking from a Wisconsin standpoint.
6. You understand everything. (Again, this depends on where you are). There's much less questioning of "Why the hell are they doing it this way?" and you understand everything people are saying around you (if they're speaking English). I went out to a restaurant when I first got back, and it was like my ears opened up. I could understand everything pefectly, not just pick out certain words.
5. You stay cleaner. You don't have to shake dust off yourself when you wake up in the morning, or shake the sand out of your pants. I like that.
4. Ease of transportation. Driving or riding in a car is much easier than trying to communicate with a cab driver in Arabic and you can also pretty much assure a complete stranger isn't going to offer to have sex with you. "Just one time?"
3. We have the best makeup and we have Burt's Bees. Enough said.
2. It's not hard to find a drink. There is practically a bar that is calling out to you on every street corner.
1. Freedom of Speech. We can say whatever we want whenever we want. No one is going to judge us if we're not the right religion. Ok, they might... but we don't have to put what religion we are on our i.d. Be thankful. Our freedom is the best gift that our ancestors worked hard to give us. Now I'm being preachy.
Wait!! I have more!! There's no trash on the sidewalk and there is a sidewalk to walk on. This is important. We also have rules when it comes to driving and cars don't honk at you for obscene reasons. So appreciate.

With all that said, I'm stoked to go back! I will be back there tomorrow afternoon. I really do love living there, with as much as I may seem like I'm complaining. I just say it like it is. I hope you enjoyed my Top 10... stay tuned for the top 10 best things about Cairo!

No comments:

Post a Comment