Tuesday was a big day in Cairo!! As I'm sure most of you have heard on the news, there were huge protests/riots from people here that want to overthrow Mubarak and reinstate a new government inspired by Tunisia. To be honest, I didn't know anything was happening! Except that everyone knew this was going to happen, so I had heard about it. This was planned to be on Police Day. The riots were downtown in Tahrir Square mostly, about 30 minutes from where I live.
Tomorrow, there are supposedly going to be more riots. The police are already shutting down major streets and preparing. I plan on staying home! I just wanted to update my blog and let everyone know that I'm fine. I know my mom is freaking out! I'm pretty isolated in my little neighborhood... the only time you should wonder "hmm... I wonder if Sara's okay" is if you hear anything about Maadi. That's where I live.
I'm also watching what I post on my blog. I'm actually surprised I'm still able to access it because the government has disabled facebook. But I say... Go Egyptians!! It's about time you stand up for yourselves!! I'm sure the media in the US is twisting the story, but the Egyptians started a peaceful protest (just as Hilary Clinton requested!) before it turned ugly. But isn't that how it always happens? We'll see what comes of this, but if anything it's a good chance for the rest of the world to know what is really happening to the Egyptian people and how Mubarak's government is really run.
There, now if I end up in secret prison, we know why. I'm carrying my American passport with me. So there's no need to worry (mom) everything is still fine and normal as far as I can see. Except that there are many more police officers on the streets. But I smile and wave, say "Misa alkeir!" and they smile and wave back. So life is pretty much normal.
I'm sure you won't get this for who knows how long since they closed down the internet...but please be safe! Post a BIG "I'm Okay!!" as soon as you can! Facebook or here - we all keep checking! Miss you Ms. Clark!
ReplyDelete