I returned to Cairo tonight from my big trip camping in the desert for 4 days with 6th and 7th graders. Let's just say that I have a lot to complain, I mean... say, about the adventure. However, after writing several paragraphs about this, I decided it would be highly inappropriate to publish such things on my blog. Therefore, I will save all comments to be better explained in person.
The main point is that I'm SO happy to be coming home for a while. I love it here. I love living on my own and having adventures every day and getting lost and miming to people because I don't know enough Arabic and they don't know enough English. All of these things make me feel incredibly happy and fulfilled. My job also makes me really happy. I'm doing what I love to do and I feel like I'm sometimes getting through to someone at least. But it gets hard being constantly... the "other." I'm just really looking forward to being with people who already know me, speak my language, don't stare at me because I'm not covered or because I'm showing my elbows. Sometimes life here feels very suffocating, as I'm sure it does anywhere. And I especially feel this way after my trip and being "the other" as the only foreign non-Muslim and a woman on top of that. But that's for another time.
So halas, poor me. I know my life is incredible compared to so many people's in this world and I'm so lucky. I just need to complain every once in a while. I am so excited to see my friends and family and my home and CLEANLINESS. No garbage on the streets, clean air, ahhh... I just can't wait.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
No comments:
Post a Comment