Saturday, December 11, 2010

Prost to Cologne - Berlin and Munich

In continuation of my story of Germany... I love that country. We went to the beautiful city of Berlin after Cologne. One of the highlights was seeing pieces of the Berlin Wall. It's amazing that the city was so divided not long ago, and you can't even tell now. Actually, that's amazing about all of Germany. There are no Communist "things" (for lack of a better word) or swastikas (for example) still around. They get their shit together fast and move on. I appreciate that about Germany, especially because I live in a country where it takes 5 trips to TE Data simply to get internet.

We also visited Checkpoint Charlie and saw a monument (well, several monuments) to the Holocaust. Berlin also had some of the best bars. We took a taxi to the "downtown" area, and walked around visiting all the places we had read about. Let's just say that by the end of the night, we were all feeling good. We decided to go to Burger King that was right across from our hostel before we went to bed. I think we caused quite a stir in the place because I was taking pictures of the menu (why? I'm not sure), and we were being quite boisterous. I think I added to the whole stereotype of Americans being annoying. But hey, I had a good time.

After Berlin, we were off to Munich. We stopped in the town where Martin Luther started the Reformation and visited his church. We tried to find the famous Martin Luther socks, but couldn't find them anywhere! But it was a cute town and a really cool site to visit.

In Munich (or Munchen), we went to the Christmas Fair which was pretty much the happiest place on Earth. I love countries that celebrate Christmas. I bought a mini Christmas tree, ornaments, and decorations for my apartment. The whole fair was outside and it was huge. You could buy anything from a Christmas tree to ... anything Christmas basically. We decided to stop in a bar and have a drink around noon (we were really becoming German by this point) before we headed to the Gestapo (you know, Nazis) museum. There were people in the bar that were totally hammered and checking us out. This one guy even came over and sat next to me, a little too close for comfort if you know what I mean. But hey, at least he didn't offer to have sex with me as now TWO cab drivers here have. Anyway... they asked us where we were going and why we were leaving so soon after only one beer. My friend said we were going to a museum, and I accidentally said "Gestapo!" Ooopps. Right away I knew I made a mistake and tried to say that I said the wrong word. But it was too late. This guy looked at me and said "Are you a Nazi?" Let's say we got out of that bar real fast.

We had one last stop after Munchen, which was Baden-Baden in the Black Forest. One of our stops there was a spa... one of the first spas in Europe. My parents, and anyone else who blushes easily, should probably skip this paragraph. It's a nude spa where you go through these different Roman baths, these saunas, etc. We didn't know, however, that we were going on a day where it was co-ed because there are different areas for men and women. I was being brave. I went into the changing room, and got naked. I'm not usually one for walking around naked, so this was a big deal. All of a sudden I started to see a lot of penis. My first instinct was to look at it because, well, it was just out there. For the whole world to see. And then I started wondering, "Why am I seeing so much penis?" I mean, it was everywhere. I guess boobs and ass were too, so the whole experience definitely took me out of my comfort zone. It was also strange to get a massage while you're totally nude. I mean, everyone can see what you got going on. Anyway, I felt amazing afterward and it was definitely worth all the nasty old hairy men I had to see. The sauna wasn't even artificial. It was being heated from the Earth's core or something I don't understand. So onto something other than nudity...

We went to a castle on the foothills of the Alps which was the most breathtakingly beautiful drive I've ever been on. And there was snow! We were driving along, looking for this castle that was supposed to be at this hill. All of a sudden, the fog shifted a little as we came around the corner, and we could see it with the Alps in the background. I can't even describe or show a picture that could capture how beautiful it was. We wanted to tour the castle, but we didn't want to wait 2 hours for the next tour. So we went to another castle and walked around outside of it. Basically, I discovered that the man I marry should love me enough to build me a castle. I don't think that's asking for too much.

OMG. I had the best food of my life. Cheesy noodles with fried onions on the top. Delicious. And Black Forest Cake is to die for. Oh yeah, we almost died (not really) driving through the Bavarian Forest. It was pitch black. And when I say pitch black, I mean we could barely see in front of our Mercedes. And the road was super narrow and curvy and it was just dark, dense forest all around us. And it was raining. I was pretty sure that death was near. If not by car accident, then by mutant cannibals coming out of the forest and killing us. I was terrified. But alas, we survived and here I am telling you about the experience.

Basically, Germany is beautiful and amazing and everything wonderful and everyone should visit the country. I know I want to again, and maybe even live there when I'm done in Cairo. Although my mom would kill me if she heard me say that I'm staying overseas for longer than 2 years! But they can always come live with me in Germany.

Onto more Cairo-nian news, I am going camping in the desert with 6th and 7th graders for 4 days and 3 nights. Pause for response. 4 days... 3 nights. Camping. Outside. In the desert. And right after we get back, I come home! I leave for home in 11 days. I don't even know how I feel about it because it doesn't seem real yet. But I know how I feel about camping in the desert for 4 days with 6th and 7th graders. Ecstatic.

We had the expat Christmas party last night. It was so much fun and it put me in the Christmas spirit! We even sang the 12 days of Christmas, Egypt style. So we changed the words to be things from Egypt... like 5 was 5 Daily Prayers. hehe. I also got my hair cut yesterday for the first time since I've been here. I know, that's disgusting. But now I have somewhere to go because I like what the guy did. And he was funny.

I will see you all soon, Insha Allah. If anyone needs anything from Egypt or really wants something from here... let me know. I will do my best to get it. If not this time, I can at least bring it back when I come home for the summer. Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment