Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ummm.... what did you say?

Today was payday... which is always a good thing! But then my day got confusing and I decided I need to learn Arabic at a much faster rate than I am currently learning it. I stopped by a small shop to buy some water after school and saw my bowab, Muhamed. I figured out that he was offering to carry my bag back to the apartment for me in Arabic. I declined, saying that I had my school bag to put it in, but shokran! And I went on my merry way. I wasn't home for 2 minutes when I heard the doorbell ring. It was a lady who didn't speak ANY English. And my Arabic skills are not amazing. But I figured out she was telling me to call the housing guy from the school. So I did. And he didn't answer. So I called my saving grace "M" who always offers to translate for me. Luckily he was available and talked to the lady. She was there to collect the monthly fee that goes to the bowab. So I payed her. In my mind I was thinking "wow... they really collect their money at the end of the month."

About two seconds after she leaves my door, the bowab and the meter reader come to my apartment. The meter reader sees how much electricity you've been using somehow. I don't really understand it all. I should take a moment here to explain that in Egypt, no one sends you bills in the mail. They come to you door to collect their money. It's quite strange. So I invite them in and the guy goes to read my meter (whatever that is). And again, they're telling me to call the housing guy. So I call him, and he answers! I explain to him in English what's going on, and he talks to my bowab in Arabic, and Muhamed gives me the phone back. My housing guy tells me to pay the electricity with the money the school already gave me. Since I haven't been living here during the summer, the school already gave me money to cover the electric bill. So, I give the guy his money, ask politely for a receipt, and they leave. Wow, I really need to learn more Arabic! And they will really come to your door on the last day of the month to collect their money. Luckily it was payday.

I went out with some friends to the ACE Club and came home to a pleasant surprise! My sister, nephews, and niece were at my parents house and we could Skype. It made me so happy to be able to see and talk to them. Even Chloe said "Hi Sa" to me because she can't fully say my name and she waved and smiled. My biggest fear (Ok, one of my fears about moving here) was that Chloe and Jackson would forget who I am because they're so young. And two years is a long time to be away. But so far, Chloe and I still seem to be "besties" (as I call us, and she laughs), and Jackson still is my little man. Mathew and Marshal asked me questions about Egypt and we talked about school starting soon for them. They wish they lived here because school is always postponed! Typical.

Then my doorbell rang again when I was Skyping with them. I answered it. This time it was a Chinese woman. I can speak Spanish and English. I can barely get by with Arabic, and I certainly can't speak Chinese. I just kept looking at her and shrugging and she was asking me a question. Then she pulled out of her bag the ugliest dress/nightgown thing I had ever seen like she was asking if it was mine. I probably had a disgusted look on my face and just shook my head. I said thank you and closed the door. But seriously, I don't know who would ever wear that. Hopefully she wasn't trying to sell it to me.

2 more days until vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment