Friday, August 20, 2010

Beer, Sheesha, and New Friends!

Yesterday was our last day of "New Teacher Orientation." The most exciting part of it was seeing my classroom! I have a little stage area, and a large open working space. There are some chairs in it, but no desks (which is what I wanted... what would you do with desks in a drama classroom anyway?), and a cool CD player. And the best part is that it's mine. No one else uses it unless they need it for a special event or something. I also talked a little with the head of my department about where the drama program has been in the past and where he would like to see it go. Our goals were pretty much the same which is awesome. I'm working on developing a more concrete curriculum of what I want to do, and we're going to have a meeting next week to talk about everything! Overall, I feel great about everything... except for the fact that the students tend to be spoiled and a little out of control (from what I've heard... from everyone). But hey, it will just be an extra chellenge. I want drama class to be fun and exciting and challenging, but there also needs to be control, obviously. So we'll see what happens!

OK, quick story. This is hilarious! I met a neighbor the other night waiting for the elevator. She is Egyptian, but speaks English very well and she's a doctor. We talked for a little bit (she asked if I was married), and exchanged numbers in case I ever needed anything which I thought was very nice. Two nights later at around 10:30 she was calling me... which I thought was strange. I answered. She said she was sorry to disturb me, but that she had a gift she wanted to give me. Then she asked if I like cats. Cats? I asked... like the animal? Yes. Cats. She wanted to give me a cat as a gift. I panicked. I have nothing against cats... but I'm never really home and this isn't even my apartment and how would I get it home with me and potty train it and ohmygod what do I do? I said the first thing that came to my head. I told her I was allergic. She didn't understand. I said that cats make me sneeze a lot. I asked her if she had a lot of cats. She said yes, and she wanted to give me one. But that she would think of another gift for me. Do I feel bad for lying? Yes, because she is very nice. But I just don't want a cat. It would freak me out. Anyway, I thought it was hilarious. That's Egypt for you.

Last night was the falucca ride on the Nile! It was so relaxing and fun to be with a lot of the people from the school for a couple hours on the river. We went right at sunset, so it was beautiful! We all broke the fast of Ramadan together with dates and water, and then had dinner. Afterwards, some new teacher friends and I went out to a bar in downtown Cairo. Downtown is so much fun!!! There's buildings and people everywhere. We went to a bar (after going through a metal detector) that was on the 9th floor and sat outside. We could see all of Cairo practically! It was beautiful. I drank 2 kinds of beer: Sakara and Stella. They were okay. Oh yeah, on our way walking trying to find the bar, every guy was going crazy. It was 5 girls and 2 guys and they were ALL staring at us and saying in appropriate things in English and Arabic. I thought it was funny. We weren't even dressed skanky! And there were men in the streets playing backgammon and smoking sheesha. Everywhere. Sheesha is just like hookah in the US, flavored tobacco. So it's not illegal anywhere, it's just everywhere in Egypt. So at the bar, we smoked sheesha in an apple flavor. It was part of the cultural experience. The sheesha guy was all about us too... he wanted his picture taken with us. So we did. Again, I laughed.

After that place, we went to find the Cairo Jazz Club. Some people had left, so 5 of us squeezed in a taxi and went searching. When we finally found it, it was closed for Ramadan! So we got in another cab and went to this place called Harry's Pub. I felt like I was in the US! We even had popcorn! One thing was different though... there were definitely hookers there. I saw them leaving with guys. They were pretty high class though because it was an expensive bar. There was also a hotel attached to the bar... so yeah. Use your imagination.

We squeezed in a taxi around 2:30 in the morning to come home. Usually places stay open all night (apparently), but closed. Of course, because of Ramadan. I know it's a very special holiday... but I can't wait for it to be over. I'm sorry. Anyway... on the way home there were lights everywhere and big buildings and people everywhere on the streets still. It was cool.

I feel like I've done a lot in the week and a half that I've been here. But so far I love it. I really miss everyone from back home, but all the friends I'm making here are great. It's definitely a huge change from my life in the US and all the luxuries I had there (like all my clothes, a dryer, things to do my hair, etc.) that I don't have here yet, but I feel like I'm in the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment