Saturday, February 26, 2011

life after the revolution

It has been a couple of week's since Mubarak has stepped down, and things in Egypt have gotten much better! Mostly because I don't hear gunshots when I'm trying to sleep at night and I have been staying alone since I returned from Italy.

Just to give a brief update... school started last Monday with students, but we were starting an hour later than usual. There is still a curfew in place from midnight - 6 AM. Which means I have no social life! More on that later... The first week back was okay. I am feeling better and not so isolated as I was at the beginning. My students were worried about me and were very curious as to what I did during the month we were off. They seemed proud that I didn't go back to Wisconsin and asked me if men were protecting my building, if I was scared, etc. My favorite question to ask my male students is what their weapon was when they were out at night with the vigilante groups. They all have a new pride to be Egyptian and are hopeful for the future of their country.

This week will be a new challenge with the change of the quarter. I will now have all the middle school boys instead of the girls. I feel like I have made a relationship with the girls and it's hard to say goodbye. But the girls told me they would miss me and gave me hugs at the end of class, they also told me how much they enjoyed drama this year which made me feel like I may be accomplishing something. I need to enjoy the little things.

As I said, everything's pretty much back to normal here. However, on Thursday a bus driver was shot twice (once in the neck and once in the head) by a police officer about 10 minutes away from where I live in Maadi. The people then attacked the police officer and brutally beat him. Apparently the officer only shot him because it was over some argument. On Thursday night, some friends and I were planning on going downtown and getting our social lives back!! I had showered, was doing my hair and getting ready when the school texted us and advised us not to leave our homes because people were gathering near the area where the man was shot and were threatening to burn the police building down. I will admit I slightly panicked. Was it all happening again? And this is much closer to where I live than Tahrir Square. Also, selfishly, I wan my social life back! But, 2 friends came to my apartment to get me and I went and stayed with a friend who lives a little further from the action. Nothing ever happened, and life is back to normal again... just with more tanks around police stations.

What's strange is that I'm getting used to seeing the military and tanks. I still hear some loud shots and get nervous... but it's nothing compared to what it was. Cairo used to be extremely safe. I would walk around at night alone carrying my purse and no one would bother me. Now there have been more muggings, robbings, etc. It's more like living in a big city, which Cairo obviously is. I'm just being extra cautious these days until everything calms down... which probably won't be until elections in September. But I still love Cairo and it is my home. I plan on fulfilling my 2 year contract and then seeing what other crazy adventures life has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment