So it has been a while since I've written in my blog. Which is strange, because I actually came here to teach so you'd think I'd want to write about it! But I've been super busy and tired... so there, that's my excuse. Anyway, school finally started last Sunday!! I survived the first week with no meltdowns, no yelling, and no tears. So I'd say it was pretty successful. I'm so glad I don't have the boys until next semester because they are terrors from what I hear. It's frustrating, but hopefully manageable. My biggest hurdle in high school is getting them to speak in English!! When they work in groups, they constantly speak in Arabic. This, too, is a problem I have never faced in the US.
Overall, I enjoy the school and what I'm doing. I have a lot of freedom when it comes to lesson planning and designing the after school program. The kids are... an intriguing challenge. That's how I look at it. So not only is it my first year teaching, I'm just putting an extra challenge on there.
We have (yes, another) vacation coming up in almost a week. Apparently is Armed Forces Day, so I have a 4-day weekend!! I am going to Dahab, yet again. It's perfect because it's only 7 hours away to paradise. Plus, I'm getting very irritated at all the stares I get on the street. It was just creepy at first, now it's super super irritating. And I have about 9 months of it left. Even when I'm completely covered, men still stare at me and even when their wives are standing next to them. All the foreigners face that here and I luckily haven't been groped or anything yet. I just don't get what the fascination is over someone who has light skin and light hair and blue eyes and who is maybe showing elbow and wearing sandals. Wow, that's some pornography right there. So let this be a lesson to you.... please stop staring at foreigners or people who look different. Chances are, they already know they look different and stand out. If you don't stare, it will make them feel much more comfortable.
Speaking of people who stand out... I went to this crazy expensive "hip" club over the weekend called Tamarai. I was way not cool enough to be seen at this place, but I went with some expat friends and some new Egyptian friends. It overlooked the Nile and apparently Paris Hilton went there when she was in Egypt (don't ask me why she would be here). I didn't know Egyptian girls could show so much skin!!! I thought I was showing skin, but I was covered compared to them. They were probably 17 or 18 years old (so I was basically a grandma) and they were wearing the skankiest dresses I have ever seen. I see a new side to Egypt and Muslim life all the time. I guess there's the extreme of covering everything except your eyes... and then there's the other side.
I still love it here and feel like I am fulfilling something that I need to do in my life. (On a side note, I got a pedicure for the first time! It was very exciting, everyone should do it.) Teaching is definitely what I want to be doing... we'll see how long I do it in Egypt. Anyway... life is good. Still hot, but good.
No comments:
Post a Comment